In the 1930’s the 24 Hours of Le Mans race track organizers – the ACO – installed every half kilometers a “poteau Michelin” – or Michelin Sign – especially made for the circuit and offered by DAS (Defense Automobile et Sportive – a governement agency) to show the racers locations on the racetrack.
Over the years these signs were either broken due to accidents or removed for safety reasons. Most of them are now on display at the Le Mans museum, others were destroyed when removed.
One of the only surviving marker sign believed to be in private hands is the 4.5 km one that we are offering here. This particular marker was placed in the Mulsanne straight (la ligne droite des Hunaudières), close to the famous restaurant l’Auberge des Hunaudières.
This original 24 Hours of Le Mans Michelin marker sign is 46” tall by 24.5” wide, made of reinforced cement – 170 lbs – with enamel white face, navy blue and red markings and logos. A- cond., (some paint and enamel chips and knicks).
A similar sign for the 6.5 km marker is on display at the Brooklands Museum.
Read more info (in French) about these signs here.